Following months of intense creativity and hard work, SA Fashion Week celebrates the announcement of the seven finalists selected by a diverse panel of our country’s fashion industry leaders for their esteemed New Talent Search. SA Fashion Week’s New Talent Search is our industry’s most definitive fashion award in South Africa. Established in 1998, this competition serves as a springboard for the designers who enter, with those selected as finalists securing several opportunities for long-term growth. Now in its 21st year, the New Talent Search is illustrative of SA Fashion Week’s long-term commitment to the development of our country’s fashion design talent. Designers who display a strong potential for commercial growth are supported through their transition from a young creative business to one which is not only sustainable but will further, aid job creation and contribute to the growth of the local industry and the economic growth of South Africa’s GDP.
In addition, the New Talent Search provides invaluable industry insights and the opportunity for successful entrants to showcase their skills and work closely with sought-after media, buyers and new clients. The competition further offers them the opportunity to meet new people from other disciplines and geographies, expanding their creative network. There are also several financial benefits for the winners, providing essential funds and mentorship to kick-start their businesses.
The brief for the 2019 New Talent Search is Shaping the Future of Sustainable Fashion. Entrants were required to consider 2020 world trends and submit a detailed portfolio of their proposed collection consisting of seven (7) looks. Designers were briefed to combine contemporary shapes, styles and construction with their creative inspiration. Essential to the brief was the undertaking of substantial research to ensure an understanding of sustainable fashion and the importance of the designer’s role in shaping its future. Judging for the 2019 SA Fashion Week New Talent Search took place on the 13 August, by the following five industry leaders.
1. Leigh Toselli, Freelance Editor, Stylist and Producer – Fashion, Beauty and Decor specialist
2. Jackie May, Twyg, Editor and Writer
3. Cyril Naicker, Country-Coordinator, Fashion Revolution
4. Annette Pringle, The Fashion Agent
5. Emelda Mashamaite, Buyer, Luminance
SA Fashion Week congratulates the following seven New Talent Search Finalists:
1. Azaria Khoza – The Breed, Johannesburg
2. Jacques Bam – The BAM Collective, Pretoria
3. Laura Ferreira – House of Lucent, Cape Town
4. Loice Seekane – Loice, Johannesburg
5. Mas’ooda Mather – Mas’ooda, Johannesburg
6. Safiya Noor Mahomed – Baie Abayas, Limpopo
7. Thato Ditsele – Armor Designs, Johannesburg
The Winner of the New Talent Search receives:
• R30 000.00 towards the development of the designer’s SS21 Collection in collaboration with The
• Representation by The Fashion Agent for one year, valued at R11 400.00
• Showcase at the 2020 New Talent Search, valued at R12 500.00
• One free stand at the SAFW Designer Pop-Up, valued at R 6 000.00
All finalists will receive a free stand at the SS20 Trade Show where they are provided with the invaluable opportunity to do market research and promote and sell to boutiques, departmental and online stores. Total prize value: ± R60 000.00
Watch the press for details of the SAFW New Talent Search Showcase. The Winner will be announced on the 23 October 2019. Plus – ensure you don’t miss the SAFW Trade Show, taking place between 23-26 October 2019. SA Fashion Week only aligns itself with premium brands that understand the power and influence of the creative fashion industry and the positive impact it can have on our economy. More than ever, we value their generous commitment and urge you to please support them by acknowledging their involvement where possible.